Wednesday, February 25, 2009

new routine called "The Morning Paper"

Today, i have started something new. Nothing exciting but i like it. I am writing a 2 page "morning paper". I learned about this exercise from a workshop i am currently following online. Every morning you take a writing paper and handwrite two pages. After you have finished you dont read it through again, you just take it and put it in an envelope. Why? You could call it the daily psychological trash can. You dump the thoughts that run through your head into an imaginary dustbin, being your envelope. It is not important what you write it is important that you write. And if you dont know what to write write "I am so bored doing my morning paper" 100 times... Supposedly it helps you to rid you of thoughts that might haunt you or just keep you busy. The handwriting forces you to really think what you are doing. And it allows you to dedicate some time to your self and connect with your soul. I think that most people my age would agree that it is hard to dedicate time in the morning for such a non target related task. To learn to follow a routine that is exclusively for the moment and has no immediate goal is another benefit from doing this exercise.
I just finished doing my first one and it was hard to actually sit down and dedicate 20 minutes for it. But i am at a stage of my life where i have to do some major changes of which i am terribly scared. And so i will hold on to the hope that this action among others will help me. I also have started to read my buddhist inspirations again and must say i have missed doing so. I will share the 5 rememberances today that the Buddha wrote as interpreted by one of my favorite authors Thich Nhat Hahn:

  1. I am of the nature to grow old. There is no way to escape growing old.
  2. I am of the nature to have ill health. There is no way to escape ill health.
  3. I am of the nature to die. There is no way to escape death.
  4. All that is dear to ma and everyone I love are of the nature to change. There is no way to escape being separated from them.
  5. My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground upon which I stand.

At first, you might think oh my goodness what depressive thoughts. But i disagree. I think that those realities are not written down to make you feel depressed but to teach you to fully embrace this very moment. And to not push responsibility for your own well being aside if inconvenient, something I tend to do. So for me, point nr. 5 is the most difficult one to accept. If you have got a minute reflect upon which one it is for you.

Have a wonderful peaceful day and enjoy the lovely weather, the sun and the birds. Listen to their voices as I did and realize that spring is near....

No comments:

Post a Comment